The Case of the Livestock Farm Fire

The Case of the Livestock Farm Fire

CSST perforation from high-voltage electric utility fault causes fire that ends in complete loss of livestock and barn.

When a plumbing contractor installed flexible corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) in a livestock barn in order to supply propane to ceiling-mounted heaters, he had no reason to envision the tragedy that would ultimately unfold. Little did he know that three years later, a high-voltage electric utility wiring short circuit nearby (approximately 500 ft from the barn) would cause the tubing to perforate and ignite combustibles in the ceiling area of the barn, starting a fire that resu

Register to view the full article

Register on EC&M and gain access to premium content, including this article and much more.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish