MRI Machine Explodes, Injuring Electricians nimon_t/iStock/Thinkstock

MRI Machine Explodes, Injuring Electricians

One electrician underwent emergency surgery as a result of cuts and crushing-related injuries.

An MRI machine exploded at an animal hospital in Paramus, N.J., last week, injuring three electricians. According to a report from the Cliffview Pilot, the back of the machine blew off during maintenance.

One electrician underwent emergency surgery as a result of cuts and crushing-related injuries. The others had minor to moderate injuries, according to NorthJersey.com. The three injured men were contract workers from a private company not affiliated with the hospital.

The explosion caused an interior ceiling to partially collapse and a small helium leak. Helium is used to cool the inside if the machine. The building was subsequently found to be structually sound and, the area was determined to be safe, having been adequately ventilated.

All staff and pets were moved to a building across the street.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish