A 31-year-old assembly technician was working with a battery charger manufacturer for about a month when tragedy struck. In November 2014, the man was testing transformers when he was electrocuted.
U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigators found that the man's death might have been prevented if his employer, Ferro Magnetics Corp., had supplied adequate personal protective equipment, followed safety procedures and provided training.
"In seconds, a family was altered forever, and a young girl is now fatherless," said Bill McDonald, OSHA's area director in St. Louis. "Companies that operate with high-voltage electricity must train workers to recognize hazards and use proper procedures to prevent electrical shock. No one should die on-the-job. Ferro Magnetics must act now to train its workers, so that another family does not suffer."
Ferro Magnetics has been cited for one willful and 14 serious safety violations. In its inspection, OSHA found multiple electrical safety hazards; machines with moving parts without safety guards; and inadequate protections to stop machine starts during service and maintenance. Inspectors also found hand, eye and face protection was not supplied. Additionally, hazardous chemicals were stored improperly and employees were allowed to use damaged powered industrial trucks.
The company faces penalties of $106,400. View the current citations at http://www.osha.gov/ooc/citations/FerroMagneticsCorporation_1007955.pdf*
Bridgeton-based Ferro Magnetics sells its chargers nationwide for use in many industries. The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA's area director in St. Louis, or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.