Saratoga County Campground Exposed Employees to Electrical Hazards

Saratoga County Campground Exposed Employees to Electrical Hazards

Employees of the Alpine Lake RV Resort in New York were exposed to electrical hazards throughout the campground when they were required to work on outdoor electrical equipment. The hazards included:

  • Not de-energizing and locking out electrical equipment when employees were required to test, operate, troubleshoot, replace and maintain such equipment.
  • Lack of appropriate personal protective equipment and safety training for employees working on live electrical equipment.
  • Employees required to repeatedly reset circuit breakers on electrical field boxes due to an undersized and inappropriately wired electrical service.
  • Exposed live electrical parts.
  • Damaged and rusting electrical field boxes with openings that allowed in rain, snow and wind.

On Feb. 19, 2016, OSHA cited the company for two willful and seven serious violations of workplace safety standards. The proposed penalty is $187,000

"These employees were knowingly exposed to electrical hazards that could have burned, shocked, disabled or killed them. They lacked the basic training, personal protective equipment and safeguards necessary to protect them," said Robert Garvey, OSHA's area director in Albany. "This employer must take prompt and effective steps to address and eliminate all these hazards before workers are harmed."

The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, meet with OSHA's area director or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish