Setting standards for the transmission and distribution of electrical energy, the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and the Insulated Cable Engineers Association (ICEA) have released the following:
- WC 70/ICEA S-95-658-1999, Nonshielded 0-2kV Cables;
- WC 71/ICEA S-96-659-1999, Nonshielded 2001-5kV Cables; and
- WC 74/ICEA S-93-639-2000, Nonshielded 2001-5kV Cables.
These standards reflect a change in both organizations' objectives for writing standards. Written as "application standards" rather than the "insulation material-based standards" of the past, these standards have been updated to reflect the latest conductor constructions, insulations, and jacket materials being used to manufacture wire and cable.
To eliminate duplication, the following NEMA/ICEA standards regarding the transmission and distribution of electrical energy are being withdrawn:
- WC 3/ICEA S-65-375, Rubber-Insulated Wire and Cable;
- WC 5/ICEA S-61-402, Thermoplastic-Insulated Wire and Cable;
- WC 7/ICEA S-66-524, Cross-Linked Thermosetting Polyethylene Insulated Wire and Cable; and
- WC 8/ICEA S-68-516, Ethylene-Propylene-Rubber Insulated Wire and Cable.
To learn more, visit http://global.his.com or www.nema.org.