Aerial lifts are tremendously useful in any plant with high ceilings, because they allow you to reach lights, security devices, sprinkler heads, and anything else well above the floor. If you have tall production equipment, overhead conveyors, or signage to deal with, an aerial lift beats a ladder almost every time.
However, it can also be dangerous. To protect yourself:
- Move the lift only with the platform locked in the travel position.
- Ensure that only qualified personnel (as defined by OSHA) operate it.
- Test the controls before using. Most lifts have two sets of controls; test both.
- Attach your lanyard to the basket — not to pipes or adjacent structures.
- Don't stand on the basket rails.