Graybar, UTC Power, Shaw Group
- St. Louis-based Graybar, distributor of electrical and telecommunications services and products, announced its Highway to Success sweepstakes. The sweepstakes grand prize is a yellow 5-speed, V-6, 2006 Ford Mustang convertible. To enter the contest, visit the Graybar Web site.
- UTC Power recently provided seven PureCell 200s to the fuel cell power plant connected to Long Island Power Authority’s grid. The plant is integrated into Verizon’s 332,000-square-foot Garden City Central office call-routing center to provide cooling, heating, and power.
- Cleco Corporation’s subsidiary, Cleco Power LLC, awarded the engineering, procurement, and construction contract to build a 600MW electricity generating plant to the Shaw Group. The plant, located at Cleco’s Rodemacher Power Station near Boyce, La., will use circulating fluidized bed technology in two 300MW units supplying steam to a single steam turbine generator.
- Chicago, Ill.-based Bodine Electric Co. recently donated $5,000 worth of DC gear motors to the University of California at Santa Cruz. The motors were used in the final project of a mechatronics class, in which students designed robots capable of shooting targets sighted with infrared LED sensors.
- PCL Construction Services recently chose Winter Park, Fla.-based Palmer Electric to provide electrical contracting services for two new condominium buildings at Vizcaya in southwest Orlando, Fla. The condominiums are seven stories each; one with 135,000 square feet for 40 units and the other with 55,000 square feet for 14 units.