Hyde Park area

Dorm Building Fire Originates in Electrical Vault

The fire originated from transformers in the basement of the building in the Hyde Park area.

Fire crews extinguished an electrical fire in a transformer vault at a faculty and staff dorm building on the campus of the University of Chicago yesterday. The fire originated in the basement of the building in the Hyde Park area, according to a report from ABC7 News.

Nine people were hospitalized for smoke inhalation, the report said, including firefighters, residents and a child. Residents of the building's 33 units were told to remain in their apartments as crews vented most of the smoke outside of the building.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish