San Francisco Apartment Fire May Have Been Electrical

San Francisco Apartment Fire May Have Been Electrical

One man died in the four-alarm fire that originated in the third-floor hallway within a stud wall and extended into the attic.

A major apartment fire in San Francisco's Mission district on Jan. 28 may have been electrical in nature. One man died in the four-alarm fire that originated in the third-floor hallway within a stud wall and extended into the attic.

According to CBS San Francisco, the building sustained an estimated $4.5 million in damage, along with $4 million in damage to its contents. San Francisco supervisor Jane Kim, representative of District 6, has suggested legislation requiring that fire alarms and sprinklers be installed to help prevent such fires from happening in older multi-unit residential buildings. She said penalties should be put in place against property owners who fail to make repairs in a timely manner.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish