Short Circuit Causes Skyscraper Fire in Dubai on New Year's Eve

Short Circuit Causes Skyscraper Fire in Dubai on New Year's Eve

The Address Downtown Dubai hotel in the United Arab Emirates reportedly had a short-circuit happen in a bright light that is used to illuminate the hotel's exterior.

A fire that engulfed a 63-story hotel in Dubai on New Year's Eve was started by an electrical short-circuit. The Address Downtown Dubai hotel in the United Arab Emirates reportedly resulted from a short-circuit in a luminaire that is used to illuminate the hotel's exterior fascade, according to an NPR report.

"The blaze started in the cables of a spotlight on the ledge between the 14th and 15th floors," reports Gulf News, citing Dubai Police's head of the forensics and mechanical engineering department.

There is concern over the cladding panels used on the outside of the skyscrapers in Dubai. A lot of them are flammable, experts say.

No deaths were caused by the fire, although 14 people reportedly suffered mild injuries. Even after it was extinguished, smoke continued to rise from the building on Jan. 1, NPR reported.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish