Q. What uses does the NEC permit and forbid for flexible metal conduit?
A. According to 348.10 of the 2011 NEC, flexible metal conduit (FMC) is permitted in exposed or concealed locations. On the other hand, the locations where FMC is not permitted are much more specific. As noted in 348.12, FMC shall not be used:
- In wet locations.
- In hoistways, other than as permitted in 620.21(A)(1).
- In storage battery rooms.
- In any hazardous location, except as permitted by 501.10(B).
- Exposed to material having a deteriorating effect on the installed conductors.
- Underground or embedded in poured concrete.
- If subject to physical damage.