Code Q&A: Options Inside the Panel

Your most pressing National Electrical Code (NEC) questions answered


Q. Can I make splices, taps, or install feed-through conductors in a panel?

A. Cabinets, cutout boxes, and meter socket enclosures can be used for conductors as feeding through, spliced, or tapping off to other enclosures, switches, or overcurrent devices where all of the following conditions are met [312.8]:

Register to view the full article

Register on EC&M and gain access to premium content, including this article and much more.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.