Family Reaches Settlement Over Houston Hilton Pool Electrocution

Family Reaches Settlement Over Houston Hilton Pool Electrocution

The financial settlement was approved earlier this week in District Court, but the financial details remain confidential.

The family of a man electrocuted in a Hilton Hotel pool in Houston two years ago has reached a final civil settlement with the hotel operators. The financial settlement was approved earlier this week in District Court, but the financial details remain confidential.

Raul Hernandez, 27, died in September 2013 after he dove into the Hilton Westchase pool to save his younger brother who was shocked when the pool lights came on.

Settlements were reach with both Hilton Hotels, and previously the electrical contractor, Brown Electric Co.

The investigation showed that the Hilton Westchase did not meet city, state, and national electrical codes and that the pool did not have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) on the pool lighting system, according to a report from KHOU News.

The hotel had hired Brown Electric that previous June to replace the wiring and bonding for the pool. Two electricians from Brown Electric were charged in Hernandez's death, as EC&M has previously reported.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish