A North Miami family filed a lawsuit this week over the electrocution of 7-year-old Calder Sloan in April. The boy was swimming in the pool at his home when the pool light overheated, causing the wiring to fail and sending current through the water, according to a report in the Miami Herald.
The Sloan family named several defendants in the case, alleging that the electrocution was the result of "a series of avoidable safety blunders." The lawsuit names the following companies:
- Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc., the manufacturer of the light
- All Florida Pool & Spa Center, a pool maintenance company
- Gary B Electric and Construction Consultant, Inc., an electrical company
- Jorge Perez Enterprises, Inc., a home inspection company
The lawyer representing the family said that the pool light had too high a voltage and lacked a way to shut off automatically. The lawsuit, filed in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, also claims that the electrical system was not properly grounded and that inspectors failed to catch these problems. The plaintiff will ask for an unspecified amount of monetary compensation, the Miami Herald reported.