New Suit Filed in 2013 Electrocution of 11-Year-Old Girl in North Carolina

New Suit Filed in 2013 Electrocution of 11-Year-Old Girl in North Carolina

The girl died in 2013 at an outdoor pool.

Attorneys representing the city of Lexington, North Carolina, filed suit against a swim club and two other parties in the electrocution of an 11-year-old girl. The girl died in 2013 at an outdoor pool.

According to a lawsuit filed last November by the girl's parents, a lifeguard heard a loud pop and saw a power line fall into the grass near the pool but outside the fence. Two other girls who were in the pool exited out of the side, but Lauren began to leave the pool using a metal ladder, at which time she was electrocuted.

The parents' lawsuit blamed ElectriCities on the assumption that the electricity had traveled from the power line through the ground. The suit was dismissed because ElectriCities never installed, monitored or had responsibility for the power lines in question with the girl's death.

But two weeks ago, in the Nov. 3, 2014, deposition of a witness to the incident, the city learned that the source of electricity came from the internal electrical system at the pool, not the fallen power line. So the city filed a third-party suit against Brookside Swim Club, Good Housekeeper Maintenance Supplies and Piedmont Electric Repair Co.

For a more thorough explanation of the testimony that lead the city to file its suit, see The-Dispatch.com.


 

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish