Pool Season Brings Shock

Pool Season Brings Shock

A 34-year-old man and an 8-year-old girl were shocked in swimming pools, and both were in critical condition at hospitals this morning.

At least two people were critically injured over Memorial Day weekend in separate pool shock incidents. A 34-year-old man and an 8-year-old girl were shocked in swimming pools, and both were in critical condition at hospitals this morning.

In one accident, a man was shocked while swimming in a motel pool in Wildwood Crest, N.J. He was swimming with family and friends Saturday when he was spotted face down in the pool. When a friend when in to help, he was shocked when he stepped on a pool filter.

A motel maintenance worker then turned the power off to the area, and the man was pulled out, according to a report from NJ.com.

The owner of the Aztel Motel said the pool had been inspected and bonded by an electrician three weeks ago, ABC 6 reported.

In another incident in Mechanicsburg, Penn., an 8-year-old girl was shocked while swimming in a backyard pool. She was in a private pool at a home in Silver Spring Township and was shocked Sunday evening when the pool lights were turned on and apparently malfunctioned, according to a story from nbc4i.com.

Adults pulled the girl out of the pool after she went into cardiac arrest. Firefighters performed CPR until an officer arrived and used a defibrillator to resuscitate the girl. Seven other children in the pool may have felt some kind of sensation but did not need medical treatment.

“I suspect it’s because the young girl who was injured, I believe she must have somehow been grounded, perhaps had hold of a metal ladder, maybe even had a foot down in the pool,” the Silver Spring Community Fire Chief told ABC 27 News.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish