Southwire Recalls Voltage Detectors Due to Shock and Burn Hazards

Southwire Recalls Voltage Detectors Due to Shock and Burn Hazards

The detectors can give a false “no voltage” reading when testing live wires, causing a shock, electrocution and burn hazard.

Southwire is recalling voltage detectors due to a shock and burn hazard. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the detectors can give a false “no voltage” reading when testing live wires, causing a shock, electrocution and burn hazard. 

The company reported that it is aware of an incident of a false reading by the voltage detector. The consumer received an electrical shock and fell off a ladder.

This recall involves non-contact voltage detectors with model numbers 40110N and 40120N. The recalled voltage detectors are cylindrical shaped, about six inches long and about two inches in circumference. They are brownish gold in color with a black center insert. “Southwire,” the model number and the CE and UL listing symbols are printed on the voltage detectors. 

They have red LED lights to indicate the presence of live electric current. Model 40110N detects voltage from 100VAC to 1,000VAC. Model 40120N detects voltage from 24VAC to 1,000VAC.

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled voltage detectors and contact Southwire for instructions on returning them for a free replacement voltage detector.

The devices were sold at Lowe’s and other home and hardware stores nationwide and online at lowes.com and other websites from June 2013 through February 2016 for about $15.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish