Welder Electrocuted at Recycling Center in Ohio Cohen

Welder Electrocuted at Recycling Center in Ohio

OSHA had previously investigated Cohen Recycling Center in July 2013 about two electrical issues.

A welder was electrocuted at a recycling center last week in Ohio. Geoffrey Garnett, 33, of Sommerville was a maintenance worker who traveled to various sites owned by Cohen Recycling Center/Metal Shredders, according to a report from WKEF ABC 22.

OSHA had previously investigated Cohen Recycling Center in July 2013 about two electrical issues. The investigation dealt with an improperly grounded metal cabinet and ungrounded outlets.

Another news outlet (2 NEWS) reported that Cohen was cited for a serious violation of “wiring design and protection.” OSHA also found another violation of “guarding floor and wall openings and holes.” According to records, OSHA inspected the facility after a complaint was filed in the summer of 2013. Metal Shredders Inc., was charged a penalty of $7,650 but settled with them for $2,600.

OSHA said preliminary evidence suggests over 1,000V of power was involved in the accident. The official investigation could take months.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish