Q. When connecting a surge protective device (SPD) grounding conductor of a Type 1 SPD at the service, which of the following connections is permitted? Note: the SPD may be a surge arrester or TVSS.
- Equipment grounding terminal in the service equipment.
- Grounding electrode for the service.
- Grounding electrode conductor.
- Grounded service conductor
- All of the above are permitted.
As per 285.23(B) of the 2008 NEC, any of the above mentioned methods are considered an acceptable installation.
Owen is the owner and president of National Code Seminars and the holder of master electrician certifications in 46 states. He can be reached at [email protected].