A high school in Pennsylvania closed at noon yesterday due to an electrical problem, one relating to an electrical fire last week that caused an estimated $100,000 in damage and resulted in that school closing for three days. Electrical wires leading from the main conductor, which is outside the building, to the main distribution panel inside the mechanical room caught fire. No structural damage was caused, and the mechanical, or electrical, room is isolated from classrooms and offices.
“The main circuit breaker panel has tripped out,” Perry Willis, executive director for support services with Cecil County Public Schools, told the Cecil Whig. An outside electrical company has been contracted to retest the electrical system and to make any repairs,
The newspaper reported that an electrical fire on March 18 had forced officials to close Rising Sun High School as crews evaluated the electrical system, made repairs and then tested the system, which worked. The school reopened on Monday, and school activities were conducted without any issues through Wednesday. However, electrical problems were experienced at the school on Thursday morning.