Skip navigation
Electricians Charged in Houston Pool Electrocution

Electricians Charged in Houston Pool Electrocution

Two electricians have been charged in the death of Raul Hernandez at a Houston hotel swimming pool. Police said shoddy work by the electricians led to Hernandez's electrocution. He died from his injuries a week after rescuing his family from the pool during Labor Day weekend, according to a lawsuit filed by his family.

The Houston Chronicle reported that the electricians have been charged with criminally negligent homicide. The electric current was caused by a short in the pool light, police said.

An investigation by police, the city's Public Works and Engineering Department and the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation also determined the wiring to the pool light lacked a ground fault circuit interrupter that would have immediately cut off the current in the event of a shock, officials said. The pool also lacked proper bonding, police said. Both are violations of the National Electric Code. The hotel hired Brown Electric, Inc., in June to replace the wiring and bonding for the pool, police said. Pyle, the supervisor for the job, did not get a permit for the work with the City of Houston, police said...(Houston Chronicle)


TAGS: Safety
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.