In 1865 as the Civil War neared its end — in an era of candlelight and gaslight — President Lincoln signed an act of Congress creating a series of regional hospitals and “work camps” throughout the eastern United States for disabled veterans specifically. One of the first of those regional centers was originally a summer resort near the city of Augusta, Maine, known as Togus Springs. By the end of WWII, Togus had become a full-service medical center that continued to grow over the years.
Graybar Electric, the client's electrical distributor, turned to Magnaray International, Bradenton, Fla., for energy-efficient lighting alternatives. All ninety-seven outdoor pole-mounted high-pressure sodium luminaires that illuminated access roadways, parking lots, and walkways around buildings were replaced with energy-conserving twin-tube single- and dual-head fluorescent luminaires. Each fluorescent luminaire consumes 106W per lighthead, compared to the facility's former units, which consumed 250W per light head.
Besides the new pole-mounted outdoor lights, the Veterans Center also specified 20 twin-tube single lighthead 106W outdoor wall-mounted luminaires to replace an equal number of HPS units that consumed 480W each, with ballast electrical consumption counted in.
Lastly, Togus further specified nine new compact fluorescent interior “wall-pack” units to replace an equal number of doorway lights for the exact same reasons as the pole-mounted, walkway and main-door overhead outdoor lights. These units consume 20W each and are retrofitted to the same electrical connections as 100W ground-mounted floods.