This event was originally held on September 19, 2023 and is now available for on demand viewing.
Duration: 1 Hour
More than other aspects of commercial lighting, the changing and complex technology of the new generation of advanced lighting controls can result in lost time and money. Information about the control system might be difficult to understand or incomplete, members of the project team might not understand their roles, and the installation team might be in the dark about how to work with the new technology.
Issues with lighting controls play out across the various stages of the project whether you are preparing a bid, negotiating the purchase, planning the installation, or configuring the control settings. An unfortunate outcome might find controls that are difficult for everyday users with some functions disabled out of frustration.
In this webinar, Ruth Taylor, project manager of the Advanced Lighting Team at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, explores characteristics and potential challenges with lighting control systems and identify practices that can help electrical contractors minimize issues and maximize profits.
You will come away with a wealth of practical information from this webinar, including:
- What installation information and terminology to look out for.
- The importance of a Controls Intent Narrative (CIN) and a Sequence of Operations (SOO).
- What steps to take when you’re installing a system you didn’t choose and don’t understand.
- How to look for and resolve conflicts within the lighting team.
- When the addition of a lighting specialist can pay off in project savings.
- Understanding bottom-line impacts of managing the installation the right way.
Project Manager, Advanced Lighting Team
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Ruth Taylor is project manager of the Advanced Lighting Team at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory where she leads projects including Next Generation Lighting Systems (NGLS), a nationally recognized program that encourages technical innovation and promotes excellence in the design of energy-efficient LED luminaires and connected lighting systems. Feel free to share your experience with lighting controls with her at [email protected].