Skip navigation

Safety, June 12, 2012

What is a toxin

What is a toxin? It's any substance that can make you sick. You can breathe or ingest a toxin, or absorb it through your skin. The effects can range from mildly irritating to lethal, depending on:

  • What the toxin is.
  • What form it's in.
  • Its concentration.
  • The dose.
  • The time before it's removed.

Sometimes, the body won't react right away, and there's no sign of injury. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because the effects aren't immediate. Mercury, for example, accumulates in fat and keeps doing damage. In particular, it causes neurons to shrink (bringing on dementia).

How can you protect yourself? Learn about the toxins you might encounter, follow the recommended procedures, and wear the recommended PPE. If you suspect exposure, seek medical evaluation immediately.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.