Code Q&A

Code Q&A

Q. If I were to replace a two-wire receptacle in a bathroom outlet that doesn't have a grounding means, am I required to replace it with a GFCI receptacle?

A. No, the replacement receptacle isn’t required to be of the GFCI type. However, it’s required to be GFCI-protected [406.3(D)(2)]. This can be accomplished by the use of a GFCI receptacle, or a two-wire non-grounding type or three-wire grounding type receptacle that is GFCI protected upstream by a GFCI circuit breaker or GFCI receptacle in accordance with 406.3(D)(3).

Got a Code question for Mike? Send it to him at [email protected].

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.