Code Q&A

Code Q&A

By Mike Holt

Q. Can we install a 3-wire feeder (no equipment ground) to a pool house and bond the neutral and ground at the new panel?

A. No. To quickly clear a ground fault and remove dangerous voltage from metal parts, the building or structure disconnecting means must be connected to the circuit equipment grounding conductor of a type described in 250.118. The supply circuit equipment grounding conductor must be sized in accordance with 250.122, based on the rating of the overcurrent device. [250.32(B)]

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.