As a key part of the overall electrical power system, medium-voltage breakers play a crucial role for protecting and controlling the distribution and transmission of electrical energy at medium voltage levels by providing:
- Circuit Protection: by quickly interrupting the current, in just a few cycles, breakers protect electrical equipment and the power system from damage, and importantly, prevent potential hazards to personnel and the public,
- Load Switching: enable the connection and disconnection of electrical loads,
- System Control and Maintenance: allow maintenance personnel to work safely on specific parts of the electrical network without disrupting the entire system.
- System Stability: by strategically closing breakers in sequence, operators can bring the power system back to a stable and functional state more efficiently.
- Grid Resilience: minimizing the impact of faults and disturbances, reducing the risk of cascading failures that could lead to widespread outages.
The first in a series dedicated to Maximizing Reliability Through Maintenance, download this eBook to learn best practices for managing the health and safety of electrical power systems and the consequences resulting from lack of maintenance.