A worker at a bowling alley in Prescott, Ariz., suffered injuries after an arc flash fire last week. Fire officials found an electrical panel that had clearly suffered a catastrophic failure when they arrived on scene.
The worker was replacing blanks when an electrical arc occurred. The arc propagated a flame at the same time it destroyed the front of the breaker panel and started a fire. The worker was able to regain his composure after the arc explosion and grabbed a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. The worker suffered burns to his hand, as well as singed facial hair, and was transported to Yavapai Regional Medical Center by private vehicle for evaluation and treatment, according to a report from Prescott Enews.
Fire personnel reported that the fire was extinguished and had not extended from the breaker panel. Responders shut down all power to the building until an evaluation and repair of the electrical system could be accomplished.